Typical Day for Animal Handler
Here is a list of tasks that Animal Handlers do every day.
- Cue or signal animals during sessions.
- Talk to both service users and therapists about the specific animal.
- Talk to or interact with animals to familiarise them to human voices or contact.
- Conduct training programs to develop or maintain desired animal behaviours for obedience, security, riding, or related purposes.
- Feed or exercise animals or provide other general care, such as cleaning or maintaining holding or performance areas.
- Observe animals’ physical conditions to detect illness or unhealthy conditions requiring medical care.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Animal Trainers do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Administer prescribed medications to animals.
- Advise potential service users or responsible people about the specific animal, answering any questions.
- Ensure animal certificates and related admin is kept current.
- How many hours do Animal Trainers work per week? Less than 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Regular (Set schedule and routine)